Ski and Snowboard Levels of Ability
SKIING LEVEL DESCRIPTIONS
Level 1 (Beginner to Gliding Wedge)
- I have never skied before.
- I can stand, walk, climb, and glide.
- I can do a gliding wedge, slow down, and stop.
- I can do slight turns.
Level 2 (Wedge Turns)
- I am familiar with the chair lift.
- I can make controlled linked wedge turns to the bottom.
- I can control linked wedge turns and make spontaneous wide and narrow turns.
- I can make spontaneous turns and come to a complete stop by turning in either direction.
Level 3(Wedge Christie)
- I have begun working on reducing the size of my wedge turns.
- I can start all my turns in a wedge and bring my skis to a match at the end of each turn.
Level 4 (Advanced Wedge Christie)
- I have begun working on advanced wedge christie (bringing my skis together early in the turn).
- I can wedge my skis slightly at the beginning of each turn, but bring them together very early in my turn.
- I can ski moderately and I am beginning to use my inside pole as a timing steady device.
Level 5 (Open Parallel)
- I have begun to work on keeping my skis parallel without a wedge.
- I can change the edges of my skis at the same time without a wedge.
- I can use a pole touch to time and steady my turns.
Level 6 (Dynamic Parallel)
- I can use my whole body towards the new turn to change directions.
- I can swing and touch my pole to the snow to start each turn.
- I am linking parallel turns continuously.
SNOWBOARD LEVEL DESCRIPTIONS
- Never been on snowboard before
- Can stand, skate, glide, and climb
- Can sidestep toeside and heelside
- Can traverse to a stop
- Can ride the chairlift
- Can read the fall line
- Can do garland turns
- Can vary my garland turn shape
- Can link skidded toeside to heelside turns
- Can control my speed with turn shape
- Can absorb uneven terrain
- Can make turns on Green terrain
- Can link skidded turns in varied terrain
- Can comfortably ride all Green runs and easy Blue runs
- Can use turn shape for speed control, reduction, maintenance, and generation
- Can ride switch on Green trails
- Can ride comfortably on all Blue runs in varied conditions
- Comfortable on most Black terrain
- Able to handle anything the mountain can throw at them